Earlier in the week, Talib Kweli randomly posted his 10 favorite albums on Instagram. It turns out it wasn’t so random.
Kweli is one of the curators of Experience Vinyl, a vinyl subscription company where different artists will choose that month’s music to distribute. The company is actually launching this month, and Kweli was the first curator.
Essentially, how it works is that each month, members will receive a selection of that month’s artist-curated “Desert Island Disc” collection. Each record will include a personal description written by or for the artist about the record’s importance. Membership to this service will cost less than $30 a month.
In addition to Kweli, Quincy Jones, Elton John, George Clinton and Cyprus Hill have already signed up for this cool service.
10. Mama’s Gun – Erykah Badu
9. Reasonable Doubt – Jay Z
8. Done by the Forces of Nature – Jungle Brothers
7. Live at the Filmore West – Aretha Franklin
6. Legend – Bob Marley
5. Winter in America – Gil Scott-Heron
4. De La Soul is Dead – De La Soul
3. Midnight Marauders – A Tribe Called Quest
2. Illmatic – Nas
1. A Love Supreme – John Coltrane